All of our instructors are unpaid volunteers contributing their time and expertise for the betterment of the community and the love of their art. Our instructors are also CPR certified and have all had background checks.
Professor Jay Udelhoven, BJJ Instructor
Martial arts bio:
- 1978-1984: Middle/high school and college wrestling.
- 1985-1988: US Army/Wisconsin National Guard combatives.
- 1994-1996: American Karate under Pete Bell, Paola, Kansas.
- 1994-2000: Kansas/Florida law enforcement defensive tactics.
- 2010-2011: Mixed martial arts and no-gi BJJ under Coach Aric Wiseman @ Lynnwood & Shoreline MMA.
- 2011-2014: Gi BJJ under Professor John Sylvester @ (what is now) Kindred Jiu Jitsu.
- 2014-present: Gi BJJ under Professor Fabiano Scherner @ American Top Team Portland (received black belt in December 2020 -- registered black belt with International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation).
- 2022-present: Gi BJJ @ Rockaway BJJ.
Coach Tim Irving, BJJ Instructor
Martial arts bio:
- 2009-2020: Gi BJJ under Professor Matt Thornton at Straight Blast Gym in Portland.
- 2020-2021: No-gi BJJ under Coach Phil Schwartz at 10th Planet Portland.
- 2022-present: Gi BJJ @ Rockaway BJJ (received brown belt December 2022).
Coach Tim Gustavson, Freestyle Striking Arts and Arnis Instructor
Martial arts bio:
- 1994: Black Belt Modern Arnis (Filipino weapon and empty hand). Instructors Remy Presas, Dan Anderson, & Lynn Anderson.
- 1996: Black Belt American Freestyle Karate. Instructors Dan Anderson & Lynn Anderson.
- 1996 - 2006: Successful regional, national, and international Karate competitor.
- 2006 - 2012: Kickboxed (Thai and Boxing) at Quest, Rockwood and elsewhere. Guest coached Sportslab MMA pros.
- 2012 - Present: Recommitment to Arnis.
- 2022 - Present: Gi BJJ at Rockaway BJJ. Instructors Jay Udelhoven and Tim Irving.
Path of martial way growth and health of body, mind, and spirit for self and training partners. Many additional martial influences and friendships in gyms and systems throughout the country.
Sensei/Coach Randall Colburn, Youth Karate and Youth Grappling Instructor. Adult BJJ Instructor.
Martial arts bio:
- 1984: TKD Black Belt. Instructor GM HS Kim and continued with GM Choi.
- 1985 - Present: Black Belts in Kyokushin, Judo, and Kokondo Karate-Jutsu. Greatly influenced by Masutatsu Oyama Sosai. Instructors Shihan Paul Arel, Prof. Allen Abbruzzese, Dan White & Master Robert Longo
- 1990 - Present: Leading my home Karate and Jujutsu gyms known as KHJi. Training and instructing in many gyms in the PNW and abroad. Levels range from youth to professional MMA instruction. Friends and instructors JT Taylor, Trevor Burnell, Trent Standing, and Chris Standing.
- 2010 - Present: BJJ Brown Belt. Instructor Prof. Michael Downing of Oregon Pound in the San Juan BJJ Gracie Techniques lineage. Master Pedro Sauer, his lineage and training with him is an honor.
Philosophy of student first and instructor Second.
Peggy McDaniel RN BSN, Yoga Instructor
Bio: Peggy has been a registered nurse for almost 40 years and is passionate about promoting health and wellness through active education and leading by example. She has been practicing yoga for over 25 years and completed her 200-hour teacher training course in Rishikesh, India in 2016. Since that time, she has enjoyed inspiring children and those young at heart to embrace and practice yoga and to live their healthiest lives.
Although Peggy has lived across the USA, Australia, and Asia, the Oregon Coast captured her heart long ago and she has owned property in Rockaway for over 20 years. She lives at the coast part time with her partner Steve here in Rockaway and is an active member of Rockaway Renaissance Artists. SailgirlDesign is her alter ego. Please check out sailgirldesign.com or Insta and Facebook for @Sailgirldesign to see Peggy’s creative work.
Angela Lehr, Ed.D., LPC, Meditation Instructor
Bio: Angela is a counselor, adult educator, humanistic leadership expert, and meditation teacher. She was initially drawn to meditation as a means to calm anxiety and promote mental health and well-being both professionally and personally. For nearly ten years, she has maintained a consistent meditation practice and had the honor of studying with meditation expert and scholar, Jason Siff, from 2016 - 2019. Angela practices and teaches Reflective Awareness meditation which is a gentle and compassionate practice rooted in openness, curiosity, and journaling as a means to gain insight and skillfulness regarding our inner thoughts, outer stressors, and everyday experiences. Angela loves teaching meditation in small and rural communities and supporting others in developing mind-body self-care and wellness. She and her family moved to Rockaway Beach in August 2022 and they love living the PNW coastal lifestyle!
Coach Meagan Mower, Cross Country Coach & Runner
Bio: Ran distance track and cross-country in high school and college. Began marathon training in 2002 and have since ran several 5K, 10K, half-marathon, and marathon races. Have also completed two Ironman Triathlons, and numerous Sprint, Olympic, and half-ironman triathlons. Coached high school track and cross-country. Current middle school cross-country coach.